Examples of Virology questions
- Management of a child found with scratch marks on his face in the morning. A bat was found in the same room in the morning. What should be the management?
- A lady had a normal delivery. Some herpetic lesions were noted in the perineal region during delivery. What would you advice to the clinicians regarding the management of mother and baby?
- 16 weeks pregnant school teacher had contact with a boy in her class with suspected Parvovirus B19 infection. What would you advice to the clinicians?
- 20 weeks pregnant lady had a tick bite. The GP is asking you for advice.
- 28 weeks Pregnant lady had contact with chickenpox. What would you advise the clinicians? What additional information would you need to make a decision?
If this lady was 39 weeks pregnant with an imminent delivery, what should be the management?
- 39 weeks pregnant lady with chicken pox presented to the labour ward and she was in a bay with three other patients before the clinical team came to know about chickenpox. The consultant contacted you for advice immediately. What advice would you give?
- A baby born of hepatitis B positive mother (serological status unknown). Describe the tests you would do and management.
- A renal transplant patient presented to the A&E with deteriorating renal function? What are the possibilities? What serology/molecular test you would consider? What should be the management?
- A pregnant lady presented to the midwife. Her son developed a rash the day before. What information would you ask for? What tests would you do? What advice would you give?
- Your laboratory informed you that there is no booking blood, what changes would you make in your management plan?
- A young boy presented to the A&E after having a needlestick injury from a discarded needle in a playground. This playground is in an area known to have problems with IV drug abusers. What should be your advice?
- A nurse presented with a needlestick injury. The source is an IV drug abuser, who refused test for blood borne virus. What advice would you give?
- A patient presented after a pub brawl. He suffered from a human bite on his face. What advice would you give?
- You have received a call from a doctor in accident and emergency. She has a patient, brought in by police, with a history of sexual assault. What advice would you give? What tests would be required? What precaution should be taken when a specimen being taken and being transferred to the laboratory and after that.
- How would you do the work up for renal transplant?